Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev!
This is in continuation of the previous offering transcribing the class by HG Devakinandan prabhuji on Srimad Bhagavatam 1.3.44. In the last offering we saw that,
1. We should hear Bhagavatam from a bonafide source.
2. We should hear Bhagavatam with rapt attention.
3. We should hear Bhagavatam submissively.
Here we see the other points,
4. We should depend on the mercy of Krishna and Guru: Srimad Bhagavatam tells us Suta Goswami felt that he cannot explain Bhagavatam unless he has the mercy of Krishna and Guru (tad-anugrahāt). This is the way to successfully study Srimad Bhagavatam. Mercy does not mean we ask, "Prabhu, give me mercy." We are habituated to do that. So what is the meaning of mercy? The meaning of mercy in the context of Srimad Bhagavatam is that, without the mercy of Krishna, we cannot understand a single page of Srimad Bhagavatam. If we think we can understand Bhagavatam on the strength of our brain power and our mental speculation, then we become professional reciters of Srimad Bhagavatam. But we have to sincerely understand that, "Unless and until Guru and Krishna invest on me all knowledge, I cannot understand Bhagavatam." For a devotee who is prīti-pūrvakam - who is engaged in loving devotional service, then Krishna says dadāmi buddhi-yogaṁ – "I give the understanding". This understanding is the understanding of Bhagavatam.
5. We should realize Bhagavatam: Srila Prabhupada writes in the purport to SB 1.3.44 that, "Simple hearing is not all; one must realize the text with proper attention." If I just speak what I hear and I do not act on it, then I cannot realize Srimad Bhagavatam. The word, 'realize' starts from the word real. Real means reality. Only if you put something on the ground, does it become reality. If we go back home after hearing Bhagavatam, to study Srimad Bhagavatam, then there is realization. That is why Sukadev Goswami andSuta Goswami are great devotees because not only did they hear Sirmad Bhagavatam, but after having heard it, they applied it practically into their lives, they gained experience from it and then they spoke about it and shared it with others. You can tell the difference when a speaker is living Bhagavatam and he is just speaking Bhagavatam. Srila Prabhupada alwayssaid we may not know how to cook nice kichdi, but we know how to taste kichdi and tell about it. You cannot cheat the public. If we really want to spread Krishna consciousness, if we really want to become Srila Prabhupada's soldiers, the first thing we must do is to realize. Not to just hear, but after hearing, put it in our heart and act on it. This is the mood of hearing.
6. We should be anxious to receive the message of Bhagavatam: Srila Prabhupada says in his purport to SB 1.1.2 that we should be very anxious to hear Bhagavatam. We are always anxious to hear everything else except Bhagavatam. Not only must we be anxious, but Srila Prabhupada writes very beautifully in the purport, "Without undergoing the different stages of realization set forth in the Vedas, one can be lifted immediately to the position of paramahamsa simply by agreeing to receive this message."
What a wonderful statement! All we have to do is to become agreeable to Bhagavatam and anxious to hear it. That is all. Just agree to sit down and hear Bhagavatam and you can become paramahamsa. So do not become disagreeable. Do not challenge Krishna. Do not challenge devotees because devotees are walking Bhagavata and please always serve the devotees. There is a direct link between service to devotees and attraction to Srimad Bhagavatam. The more we serve with love and without motive, you will find you are naturally attracted to Srimad Bhagavatam. You will find all the shlokas of Srimad Bhagavatam will be revealed in your mind. You will find all the important solutions given in Srimad Bhagavatam and you can act on it.
7. We should be chaste to Bhagavatam: We should be chaste to Srimad Bhagavatam. It is always stated in vedic culture that a lady must be chaste to her husband and a husband must be chaste to his wife. It is known as avyabhicāreṇa. It is already stated in Srimad Bhagavatam, kiṁ vā parair? - "What need is there for any other scripture?" Why to go for any other books when we have, Bhagavatam, Bhagavad Gita, Chaitanya Charitamrita and all of Srila Prabhupada books. Chastity means one may have so many occupational engagements, but always remember daily that we have only one Supreme master and that is Sri Krishna. We have one supreme process and that is the process of devotional service and we have only one business and that is to glorify Krishna.
We shall see the other points in the ensuing mail, Krishna willing.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev,
Vaijayantimala devi dasi
Copyright © 2023. All rights reserved.