Hare Krishna. Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva.
A few days back I was very fortunate to get hold of one of my early notebooks in which I had written a lot of notes from my study of Bhagavatam and Caitanya Caritamrta and also some of the very valuable notes taken from our Guru Maharaj's lecture. It was really a pleasant experience to go through the notes I had taken several years back. Maharaj always used to insist that we should always keep writing whatever we read and it will always help at a later time. It is a 100% true statement. Today I will share with you some punching statements that Maharaj made during his class on SB 1.6.24 in a morning class in Rajkot on 9th Nov 2004.
matir mayi nibaddheyam / na vipadyeta karhicit
prajaa-sarga-nirodhe 'pi / smrtis ca mad-anugrahaat
"Intelligence employed in My devotion cannot be thwarted at any time.. Even at the time of creation as well as the time of annihilation, your remembrance will continue by My mercy."
Maharaj was relating how everything is ultimately a property of the Supreme Lord and we cannot claim ownership of anything in this world, even the so-called things that we possess as our own. He was quoting the verse ishaavaasyam idam sarvam and mentioned that if we understand this verse properly then we will not have any hankerings in our life. By keeping ourself sane we can invite the Lord's favorable and auspicious glance upon us.
Notes from Maharaj's Class
1. If the vitality of our human existence disappears, it leads to lack of immunity from material forces in us.
2. Applying our intelligence in Krishna's service means to be free from lethargy and laziness.
3. We have to understand the verse ishaavaasyam idam sarvam verse completely. This will help us avoid grabbing tendency.
ishaavaasyam idam sarvam / yat kinca jagatyaam jagat
tena tyaktena bhunjeethaa / maa grdhah kasya svid dhanam
"Everything animate or inanimate that is within the universe is controlled and owned by the Lord. One should therefore accept only those things necessary for himself, which are set aside as his quota, and one should not accept other things, knowing well to whom they belong."
4. One who does not have the grabbing tendency will be very much respected in this world.
5. Srila Prabhupada was so much respected all over the world because he did not have a tinge of grabbing tendency in him. He thought, "If there are devotees in India, then there must be devotees in other parts of the world also. Because Krishna is everywhere, His devotees must also be everywhere."
6. Illicit grabbing is a result of violence. We must avoid it.
7. There is a vast difference between richness and opulence. A rich man may be wealthy but an opulent man will dedicate all his riches in Krishna's service.
Then Maharaj insisted on serious study of Srimad Bhagavatam saying the following points:
1. Any time when we recite Bhagavatam, we should be very careful to see that it doesn't degrade into a ritual. We must study and recite Bhagavatam relishing it fully.
2. Those who are not with Bhagavatam are extremely unlucky people in this world.
3. Problems may be there always, but we should never leave Bhagavatam. That is the best way to stay away from the ill effects of problems in this world.
I pray to the Supreme Lord and Guru Maharaj to give me the opportunity to keep studying the scriptures and take notes seriously and try to implement the jewels of wisdom coming from the mouth of the pure devotee, in this life time.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva,
Kalacakra Krsna das
Copyright © 2019. All rights reserved.