Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev.
Sometime back I came across a pamphlet about "Marriage in Krishna Consciousness" in an elderly grahastha couple's house who were practicing the same. The contents of the pamphlet goes as follows .
Krishna Conscious marriage is:
- serving Krishna together
- wanting to serve Krishna together
- consistently choosing to hear and chant - year after year
- gently and lovingly say what we have to say
- assisting each other to be regulated and clean
- recognising bad energy between us as poor service
- taking up our beads to go to Krishna and work it out
- being anxious to say we are sorry and
- humbly granting forgiveness as soon as possible
- helping to heal each other's wounds
- encouraging each other to blossom and reach our goals
- caring together whether our various children are happy and loved and growing nicely
- caring together that our other loved ones and extended family of devotees are happy and loved and growing nicely
- being concerned for our planetary family
- focusing on our spiritual advancement
- happily serving at our Temple
- supporting various devotee enterprises
- finding we are truly provided with things we need
- not being too attached
- respecting each other's service
- living to give rather than to get
- relishing quite time together
- relishing quite time alone
- letting a fraction of Divine couple's love be visible in us
- sheltering all who come our way
- loving to serve devotees
- being peace makers
- sharing our love of Srila Prabhupada
- sharing our mutual fervent longing to go Back to Godhead
- being grateful for all the causeless mercy constantly showered on us
- deeply cherishing the Holy Names
- allowing Super soul to direct each of our lives
- coming to understand why we were brought together
- wanting to do more service, and do it better
In the purport of verse 3.14.19 in Srimad Bhagavatam, Srila Prabhupada explains nicely that, ‘Marriage is actually a duty performed in mutual cooperation as directed in the authoritative scriptures for spiritual advancement. Therefore marriage is essential in order to avoid the life of cats and dogs, who are not meant for spiritual enlightenment’.
Out of eight million four hundred thousand types of birth, human life is the only chance where we can realise our original position and endeavour for spiritual development . May we remember this always and use this valuable chance given to us completely in the service of Lord and His devotees.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev,
Sudarshana devi dasi.