Dear Prabhujis and Matajis,
Hare Krishna. Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva.
In today's offering I will try to share some salient points that I had taken down in my notes from the lecture given by our spiritual master H H Mahavishnu Goswami Maharaj in Rajkot on 22nd Jan 2009.
1. In grhastha ashrama, we should try to be self-independent. Not depend too much on wife or husband.
2. Breathing is not just for a few hours. It is for the whole life. Bhagavatam is more important than breathing.
3. Once we realize the Bhagavatam life style, we should take to it.
4. There is a fine line between 'hankering' and honestly trying to improve our material situation. We should identify it and act accordingly.
5. To be 'bhagavadiya' (Taking shelter of the lotus feet of Lord Krishna) is life-style. Because we forget our life-style we are not always with Krishna.
6. sevon mukhe hi jihvaadau - seva is very important. If we don't perform seva then svayam eva sphuraty adaḥ is absent. We are not happy because we don't perform seva.
7. Even if we perform seva, there is contamination over it. Then Krishna stays away from us. When we perform seva with Pride, the Lord does not like it. The example of Hanuman and the squirrel during Setu Bandhan - Lord Ram adviced Hanuman that his mountains are equally important to Him as the squirrel's dust particles.
8. To perform seva properly, we should get rid of anger. If you see, we are only angry towards those who don't oppose or who are weak. We are afraid of showing our anger to someone who is more powerful than us. Instead of being angry, we should be alert in not wasting our time.
9. We cannot catch Krishna by senses (na bhaved graahyam indriyaiḥ). So how to catch Him? By seva (sevon mukhe hi jihvādau).
10. Just keeping quiet will give us an auspicious atmosphere. We can get in touch with the Supersoul by keeping quiet.
11. We may be seeking guidance from others but we do not reveal the complete detail to them and therefore the advice we receive from them is also incomplete. We are not arrogant but we should be self-sufficient with the Supersoul's guidance. This does not mean that we should not seek guidance from others, but we should take the final decision ourself.
12. Whatever you do without expecting anything in return satisfies you more than what you do expecting return.
13. Devotees are not shirkers but workers. As soon as you love the job, you will be loved by everybody. Sincere workers do not look at the fruitive result. (Maharaj quoted the following verses from Bhagavat-gita 3.8 and 3.35:
niyataṁ kuru karma tvaṁ karma jyāyo hy akarmaṇaḥ
śarīra-yātrāpi ca te na prasidhyed akarmaṇaḥ
Perform your prescribed duty, for doing so is better than not working. One cannot even maintain one's physical body without work.
śreyān sva-dharmo viguṇaḥ para-dharmāt sv-anuṣṭhitāt
sva-dharme nidhanaṁ śreyaḥ para-dharmo bhayāvahaḥ
It is far better to discharge one's prescribed duties, even though faultily, than another's duties perfectly. Destruction in the course of performing one's own duty is better than engaging in another's duties, for to follow another's path is dangerous.
14. From your fruitive work done without expectation akarma is born. In the old age we cannot do any karma and we become useless. In old age our limbs also don'y obey us.
15. By developing a karma, we can catch Krishna. We are converting our work into bhajan by working without fruitive result. Working without expectation gives us a lot more.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva,
Kalacakra Krsna das
Copyright © 2023. All rights reserved.