Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Dandavat pranams. All glories to Srila Prabhupada. Srila Prabhupada ki jai. Jai Srila Gurudev.
kṛtvā dayāṁ ca jīveṣu dattvā cābhayam ātmavān
mayy ātmānaṁ saha jagad drakṣyasy ātmani cāpi mām
Showing compassion to all living entities, you will attain self-realization. Giving assurance of safety to all, you will perceive your own self as well as all the universes in Me, and Myself in you.
This verse describes a simple process for self-realization.
- First principle - this world is a product of Supreme will. Devotees of the Lord take everything to be the property of the Supreme Lord.
Everything, whatever we see, is the manifestation of the Supreme Lord. Therefore, everything should be engaged in the service of the Lord. This is oneness. Lord Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita 9.4 - "I am spread all over the universe in My impersonal form. Everything is resting on Me, but I am not present". The Lord says, "you will see everything in the world to be non-different from Me."
- Second Principle - One's energy should be utilized for one's self-interest. That is the perfection of the energy. So when we understand that everything in this universe is Krishna's energy, then it goes without saying that all His energies should be engaged in fulfilling His interests. Since the Lord's Supreme desire is to reclaim all the suffering souls back to home, a real devotee will be compassionate to all the living entities in distributing them the highest wealth of all three worlds - Krsna Prema.
Therefore Kardama Muni was directed by the Lord to be very compassionate and liberal in his householder life and to give assurance to the people in his renounced life. A Sannyasi, one in the renounced order of life, is meant to give enlightenment to the people. He should travel, going from home to home to enlighten.
- It is the duty of a Sannyasi to go and awaken the forgetful souls with enlightenment of their eternal relationship with the Lord and to engage them in devotional service.
- The devotee should show mercy to the fallen souls and also give them the assurance of fearlessness.
- To award fearlessness to the common man is the greatest act of charity. A person who is a householder, but is initiated by a sannyasi has the duty to spread Krishna Consciousness at home. There are immense literature for spreading Krishna Consciousness. The living entity is always a minute part of the Lord. Therefore, his oneness with the Lord is that he is interested in the one interest of the Lord. Bhagavad Gita says, "man-manā bhava mad-bhaktaḥ (9.34). Krishna wants everyone always to think of Him. The Lord wants to fulfill His desires unlimitedly, and the devotee also serves Him to fulfill His unlimited desires. There is an unlimited oneness of interest between the Lord and His devotee.
Srila Prabhupada ki Jai! Srila Gurudev ki Jai!
Your humble servant,