Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev!
This is in continuation of the previous topic titled, "Glories of Vrtrasura". In the previous seven offerings, we have learnt:
1. The cause and purpose of appearance of great devotee Vrtrasura.
2. Lord's instruction to demigods for the protection.
3. Fight till the end.
4. Fair Dealings.
5. Fearless of death.
6. Courage is the monopoly of devotee.
7. Material possessions entangles us.
Today, we will meditate on further realization of Vrtrasura on the battlefield.
8. We need to admit our weakness: After encouraging Indra to fight and assuring him victory, Vrtrasura was certain that he would be killed by Indra. Vrtrasura now glorifies Supreme Personality of Godhead. Vrtrasura's appeal to Krishna (Srimad Bhagavatam verses 6.11.24, 25 and 26) are most wonderful and inspiring as these are nectar coming from the bottom of the heart of an exalted devotee. In these verses he expresses
1) His desire to always be servant of eternal servants of the Lord.
2) that he does not want Dhruvaloka or any planet or liberation if he has to give up Lord's lotus feet.
3) his complete dependence on Lord and constant eagerness and yearning to serve Him.
These verses show that his love for Lord is inimitable. Further, Vrtrasura's lamentation in verse 6.11.27 is worth meditating.
saṁsāra-cakre bhramataḥ sva-karmabhiḥ
āsakta-cittasya na nātha bhūyāt
O my Lord, my master, I am wandering throughout this material world as a result of my fruitive activities. Therefore I simply seek friendship in the association of Your pious and enlightened devotees. My attachment to my body, wife, children and home is continuing by the spell of your external energy, but I wish to be attached to them no longer. Let my mind, my consciousness and everything I have be attached only to You.
Above confession of Vrtrasura is equally applicable to us as it is the warning bell to put a full stop to our endless sense gratification. Vrtrasura being exalted devotee of Lord is able to admit his faults, and begs for relief from material bondage. However, we are not sincere to admit our failure in the path of spiritual advancement as we continue to focus on material needs. We lack determination in the midst of distracting material comforts. Further more, we are not even perfect in the material obligations. HH Mahavishnu Goswami Maharaj very nicely says, "Don't lie about devotional service. If you are not performing, then admit it. But don't lie. If you lie, help will never come. In saving your face, you kill your soul."
So the first step is to honestly admit our mistakes to Guru and Krishna. Then we become eligible to receive their mercy and help. Vrtrasura talks about how important and powerful is the association of pure devotees of the Lord. Also it is important for us to understand the difference between attachment to family and duty towards family. We should do our prescribed duty to the family members without any attachment.
Now, Vrtrasura having surcharged, attacked Indra with his blazing trident. However, Indra cuts trident into pieces with help of his thunderbolt. Indra immediately cut off one of his arms. Although Vrtrasura lost his arm, he attacked Indra with iron mace and struck elephant. This blow of Vrtrasura caused Indra to drop his thunderbolt from his hands. Bhagavatam says Indra was practically defeated by dropping thunderbolt in front of his enemy and was ashamed to pick the same. Vrtrasura encourages Indra to pick up thunderbolt to kill him and tells him that this is not the time to lament for the fate. Once again Vrtrasura exhibits transcendental quality as pure and unalloyed devotee of Lord Krishna. He did not attack Indra when Indra was weaponless. Most importantly, He does not want Indra to lose hope in the battlefield.
Krishna willing, we will learn more about the glories of Vrtrasura in the next offering.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev,
Copyright © 2021. All rights reserved.