Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev!
This is in continuation of the previous offering transcribing the class by HG Devakinandan prabhuji on Srimad Bhagvatam verse 1.17.18 in Rajkot. In the previous offerings we saw the following.
1. The cow representing Mother earth and the bull representing the principle of religion were being beaten by the personality of Kali.
2. The behaviour of the Vaishnavas should be pucca.
3. When the Vaishnavas meet, they discuss the glories of Krishna.
4. Devotee accepts and demon expects.
Here we see further.
5. A devotee is dhira – sober: Thus the devotee becomes dhira – sober. Dhira means in any difficulty we do not meditate on the difficulty but we meditate on Krishna who is the cause of all causes instead of thinking and meditating on that person who harassed us. When we are dying we do not want to go to his loka. So when there is a problem, instead of thinking of the person, better we think of the person who has given sanction to the problem and that is Krishna. Because the cow and the bull were dhira, Krishna gave them full intelligence and blessing to remember that Krishna is the ultimate cause of everything. Usually in suffering situation we cannot remember Krishna. We are only thinking of that person whom we think is the immediate cause of the problem. That is our consciousness. But the cow and the bull are teaching us, 'Do not think that way because if you do that, you do not become dhirah. You must see the hand of Krishna."
6. We just become instruments and become peaceful: Bhishma deva pacified Yudhisthira by saying that the Mahabharat war was daiva tantram - it is all made by Krishna. Krishna confirms this in Bhagavad gita. He says mayaivaite nihataah purvam eva. "It is My arrangement that Duryodhana is going to die. It is by My arrangement that Karna is going to die. You just become instrument." Once we know we are instrument, we become dhirah. Peaceful. We may ask can instrument get any benefit. Maharaj answered this very nicely. "Whatever benefit you get in this material world, you also get on the other side, losses. Are you prepared to get losses? Very often we want to grab the benefit and we do not want the losses. But it is the nature of the material world that where there is material happiness, there is an equal amount of sadness just waiting for you. You become happy and next moment maya slaps you. This is life. We do not want that. When there is a murder, murderer takes the knife and kills somebody. Who is going to be hanged? The murderer or the knife? It is the murderer. The police would say knife was just an instrument. So even if you do not get benefit, at least you do not get losses. You do not lose." It is unique. Nobody has told us this before except Maharaj. Maharaj said, "you are always looking for gain but if something bad happens, the knife is not going to be prosecuted. So if something happens you put the whole blame on Krishna. That is all. Once you put the blame on Krishna, you are Krishna conscious because you are thinking of Krishna. At least you remember Krishna. Otherwise you think I am the doer, who will you remember? You will never remember Krishna. We become "I" conscious and not "Krishna" conscious. Bull and the cow did not waste time remembering Kali. Instead they discussed Krishna Katha.
7. Krishna protects the consciousness: So after getting beaten, externally the cow and the bull were in pain but Krishna took care of their consciousness 100% because the answer they gave shows that they were completely in control of their senses despite going through the suffering of beating. How many times Maharaj showed us this in all the difficulties of the body, the disturbances from authorities. Maharaj's consciousness was very clear. He always reminded us that it is not this person or that person but it is Krishna. Krishna does not want. We must follow only what Krishna wants. The moment we see Krishna does not want it, we drop it. This is the mood of dhiro daiva vashaanugaih. In that mood, what could the cow and bull achieve? tad vidvaan na alen maargaat. They had full knowledge. This knowledge is not gained in a material level but transcendentally, why? Because the qualification of the cow and the bull before they were beaten was that of discussing the glories of Krishna. Because of that, Krishna protected their consciousness. So even though they were beaten externally, internally their consciousness was completely intact. This is the import of the verse. Krishna gave the bull and the cow the understanding and knowledge to see the hand of Krishna even in this situation.
Prabhuji went on to explain the necessity of tolerance in trying situations and the same shall be transcribed and offered in the ensuing offering, Krishna willing.
Thank you very much
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev,
Vaijayanti mala devi dasi,
Copyright © 2020. All rights reserved.