Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva.
This is in continuation of the previous offering titled 'Glories of Srimad Bhagavatam' wherein we saw how in the beginning of Kaliyuga
1) Bhakti devi and her children, jnaana and vairaagya became weak due to fear of Kali.
2) Narada Muni explained to Bhakti devi as to why Pariskhit Maharaj gave shelter to Kali.
3) Sanatkumaras explain how Bhakti, Jnana and Vairagya will derive great strength by chanting Srimad Bhagavatam.
4) Just like how wolves vanish at the roar of lion, all defects of Kali vanish due to the transcendental sound vibration of Srimad Bhagavatam.
We find further in Padma purana, Uttara khanda, Chapter 2, that on hearing the glories of Srimad Bhagavatam from Sanat kumaras, Narada Muni wondered, "How bhakti, jnaana and vairagya were not rejuvenated when I repeatedly recited the Vedas, Upanishads, Brahmasutras and Bhagavad Gita, but upon recitation of Srimad Bhagavatam they could sit up with full energy? This is possible because in Srimad Bhagavatam, each and every shloka, each and every word, has the essence of Vedas. Simply by darshan of pure devotees like Sanat kumaras all the doubts in our hearts are cleared." Uttering these words, Narada Muni, bhakti and her sons took shelter of the Kumaras. In shlokas 67 through 71 of Padma purana, Uttara khanda, Chapter 2, Sanat Kumaras share some more glories of Srimad Bhagavatam to Narada Muni to insist the importance of chanting Srimad Bhagavatam.
1. Srimad Bhagavatam is the essence of Upanishad and Vedas. It is supreme and shining and is the best of all scriptures. So this Purana is supreme.
2. In case of tree, the vital juice running from the root to the top cannot be tasted. But when put in the form of fruit, it attracts and captivates the whole world.
3. Ghee comes from milk. But we cannot see it explicitly or get the taste of ghee from milk. But when ghee is extracted from milk, we can see it and it even serves the devatas in all respects.
4. In case of sugar cane, the sugar pervades in the end, in the middle and in all the places. But when sugar is extracted from it, it tastes sweeter than the actual sugar cane.
Srimad Bhagavatam is like the fruit in the tree, the ghee from milk and sugar from sugarcane. This Bhagavata Purana will surely rejuvenate Bhakti, Jnaana and Vairagya.
In Srimad Bhagavatam verse 12.12.59, Suta Goswami says to the sages of Naimisaranya
ya etat shraavayen nityam / yaama kshanam ananya dhih
shlokam ekam tad ardham vaa / paadam paadaarsham eva vaa
shraddhaavaan yo 'nushrnuyaat / punaaty aatmaanam eva sah
"One who with undeviating attention constantly recites this literature at every moment of every hour, as well as one who faithfully hears even one verse or half a verse or a single line or even half a line, certainly purifies his very self."
Such is the glory of this great scripture. Krishna willing we shall continue to hear further glories of Bhagavatam in the subsequent offering.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva,
Sudarshana devi dasi.
Copyright © 2019. All rights reserved.