Hare Krsna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Dandavat Pranams. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev.
A list of the anomalies for this age is given in the Twelfth Canto (SB 12.2.1-16) where Sukadeva Gosvami instructs Maharaja Parikshit. Let us see what is in store for those who say that there is no need for self-realization and life is only meant to eat, sleep and be merry:
1) Not purified by any Vedic rituals and lacking in the practice of regulative principles, (these barbarians) in the guise of kings will be completely covered by the modes of passion and ignorance.
2) Religion, truthfulness, cleanliness, tolerance, mercy, duration of life, physical strength and memory will all diminish day by day because of the powerful influence of the age of Kali. (This is so true if we compare ourselves to the generation 50 years back, then what to speak of the future generation say, 100 or 200 years from now ?).
3) Men and women will live together merely because of superficial attraction, and success in business will depend on deceit.
4) Womanliness and manliness will be judged according to one's expertise in sex.
5) A man will be known as a brahmana just by wearing a thread. (Yes, the message of Lord Krishna in BG 18.42 is totally forgotten).
6) A person's spiritual position will be ascertained merely according to external symbols, and on that same basis people will change from one spiritual order to the next. (Thus there are so many fake sannyasis in this age roaming around minting money and cheating the public).
7) A person's property will be seriously questioned if he does not earn a good living.
8) One who is very clever at juggling words will be considered a learned brahmana. (Bhakti has no place in the life of the 'so called' brahmanas these days, this is a well-known fact).
9) A person will be judged unholy if he does not have money, and hypocrisy will be accepted as virtue.
10) Marriage will be arranged simply by verbal agreement. (The result is we see the disease of divorce rampant all over).
11) A person will think he is fit to appear in public if he has merely taken a bath. (What to speak of bathing, people only rely on scents, perfumes and talcum powders to cover their fowl smells).
12) A sacred place will be taken to consist of no more than a reservoir of water located at a distance. (Infact, if we find water in that place, it is a great miracle).
13) Beauty will be thought to depend on one's hairstyle. (One can judge this by counting the no. of beauty parlours and hair-stylists available in the market).
14) Filling the belly will become the goal of life. (Of course, otherwise how did His Divine Grace catch so many souls just by feeding them sumptuous prasadam ? He understood the goal of the general mass of people)
15) One who is audacious will be accepted as truthful. (Cowardice is commonly misunderstood as the quality of a devotee).
16) He who can maintain a family will be regarded as an expert man.
17) The principles of religion will be observed only for the sake of reputation. (Therefore, people do not know the reason behind the instructions in the shastras and are losing faith in God and shastras).
18) As the earth thus becomes crowded with a corrupt population, whoever among any of the social classes shows himself to be the strongest will gain political power. (The result is that pretty much every government or leader of a nation has become unruly and is commiting so many scandals).
19) Losing their wives and properties to such avaricious and merciless rulers, who will behave no better than ordinary thieves, the citizens will flee to the mountains and forests.
20) Harrased by famine and excessive taxes, people will resort to eating leaves, roots, flesh, wild honey, fruits, flowers and seeds. Struck by drought, they will become completely ruined.
21) The kings will mostly be thieves.
22) The citizens will suffer greatly from cold, wind, heat, rain and snow. They will be further tormented by quarrels, hunger, thirst, disease and severe anxiety.
23) The maximum duration of life for human beings in Kali-yuga will become fifty years.
24) By the time the age of Kali ends, the bodies of all creatures will be greatly reduced in size.
25) The religious principles of followers of varnashrama will be ruined.
26) The path of the Vedas will be completely forgotten in human society, and so-called religion will be mostly atheistic.
27) The occupations of men will be stealing, lying and needless violence, and all the social classes will be reduced to the lowest level of shudras.
28) Cows will be like goats. (This is true for two reasons - The Cows having not been taken care of properly, are small in size and secondly, they are also being slaughtered mercilessly like the goats).
29) Spiritual hermitages will be no different from mundane houses.
30) Family ties will extend no further than the immediate bonds of marriage. (People already are asking what is the meaning of Joint Family. Privacy is rampant in this age. This is only because people do not know how to adjust and get along with each other).
31) Most plants and herbs will be tiny, and all trees will appear like dwarf shami trees.
32) Clouds will be full of lightning, homes will be devoid of piety,
33) All human beings will have become like asses. (Already we see that men/women call each other 'ass' when they get angry).
It is really mind-boggling to hear all these horrendous descriptions, but one need not be disheartened as Sukadeva Gosvami says in SB 12.3.51 :
kaler dosha-nidhe raajann asti hy eko mahAn gunah
kiirtanaad eva krshnasya mukta-sangah param vrajet
"My dear King, although Kali-yuga is an ocean of faults, there is still one good quality about this age. Simply by chanting the Hare Krishna maha-mantra, one can become free from material bondage and be promoted to the transcendental kingdom."
To cross-over this grean ocean of miseries, we have to accept Acarya like Srila Prabhupada and his true followers as the captain of the ship, which is the message of Lord Sri Krishna in the shape of Bhagavat-gita and Srimad Bhagavatam. Then we will be saved.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada,
Sri Ramchandra das
ps : My sincere apologies for the length of the mail, since I wanted to list all the anomalies of this age of Kali.
Copyright © 2020. All rights reserved.