Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva.
I would like to share few points from HG Devakinandan Prabhuji's wonderful class last week, on this very nice verse from Srimad Bhagavatam 2.6.10 where in the evolution of frustration and ignorance of a living entity is well explained.
paraabhuter adharmasya / tamasash caapi pashcimah
naadyo nada-nadeenaam ca / gotraanaam asthi-samhatih
"The back of the Lord is the place for all kinds of frustration and ignorance, as well as for immorality. From His veins flow the great rivers and rivulets, and on His bones are stacked the great mountains."
In the purport Srila Prabhupada writes "Those who are fortunate enough to have a view of the Lord from the front can realize His personal feature, whereas those who are frustrated and are thus kept on the ignorance side of the Lord, or, in other words, those who have the view of the Lord from the back, realize Him in His impersonal feature."
Prabhuji shared the below points on how a living entity becomes frustrated.
1) If we treat Krishna as impersonal, ultimately we end up in frustration. We are offensive, if we say He is formless. We have head, hands,legs etc but we are telling that Supreme creator Krishna who created us as formless which is very offensive. This should be thrown out of our mind. Prabhuji narrated a nice story of impersonalist and devotee who go on a pilgrimage to Himalayas. On their way the devotee speaks about the glories of Supreme Lord Krishna and our relationship with the Lord as an eternal servitor. But the impersonalist speaks of his philosophy saying that everything is one. The impersonalist gives an example of the air inside the pot and the air outside is same. Once we break the pot, the air inside merges with air outside. So he concludes saying every thing is one. But he never realizes the point of our relationship with Lord. Anyway by the time they reach the top of Himalayas it is night. So they went to take rest. It was a very cold night. The devotee had a blanket to protect himself from cold, where as the impersonalist did not have anything to cover. So devotee asked him since you said the philosophy of oneness, since the blanket is made of all the threads, you take one thread from blanket to cover and sleep. The impersonalist agreed and went to sleep with one thread, but the thread cannot protect him from cold. So he ran to the devotee to forget the impersonal philosophy and asked him to share the blanket. So to conclude we are all individuals and we have to serve the Supreme person.
2) One is frustrated because of two things
b) Desire to enjoy separately.
We are not satisfied with whatever we have. We want more and if we do not attain those then we become frustrated. We are embarrassed and are afraid because we may loose our things (like positions, fame, riches etc) and we want to protect them. Because of this we lament and get frustrated.
3) Any time we have material plans, we become frustrated. Anything which is separate from Krishna will ultimately end up in frustration. Our spiritual master HDG Mahavishnu Goswami Maharaj says that if we neglect our devotional service, devotional service will neglect us.
4) Prabhuji narrated the story of demigods and demons churning the milk ocean. He said the place, time, objective, cause and ambition of both the demons and demigods were the same, but whenever the demigods were in trouble or need, they turned up to Krishna and they were satisfied. Whereas demons did everything on their own and never turned to Krishna so they got frustrated at every stage.
So Prabhuji explained how to come out of this frustration.
1) If we want to come out of frustration we have to be personal with the Lord. Everything emanates from HIM. Even if a person is a murderer or a robber, he is also from Krishna. Every thing is within Lord's orbit. So we have to know that Lord is the personal feature. Prabhuji quoted the verse 3.29.39 from Srimad Bhagavatam where it says "No one is dear to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, nor is anyone His enemy or friend. But He gives inspiration to those who have not forgotten Him and destroys those who have." So Prabhuji concluded by saying that those who remember Krishna, He gives inspiration and to those who neglect Him, He gives frustration (death).
2) Prabhuji also quoted the verse 2.3.12 which speaks about the attraction towards Lord and the transcendental knowledge.
jnaanam yad aapratinivrtta-gunormi-cakram
aatma-prasaada uta yatra guneshv asangah
kaivalya-sammata-pathas tv atha bhakti-yogah
ko nirvrto hari-kathaasu ratim na kuryaat
"Transcendental knowledge in relation with the Supreme Lord Hari is knowledge resulting in the complete suspension of the waves and whirlpools of the material modes. Such knowledge is self-satisfying due to its being free from material attachment, and being transcendental it is approved by authorities. Who could fail to be attracted?"
Prabhu said to the extent we are attached or attracted to the transcendental topics (which will result in complete suspension of the waves and whirlpools of the material modes) of Lord, to that extent we are away from frustration.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev,
Shruta Ikshita Krishna Das,
Copyright © 2019. All rights reserved.