Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Gurudeva.
This is in continuation of the transcription of the nectarean class of our beloved spiritual master H H Mahavishnu Goswami Maharaj on Caitanya Caritamrta Adi-lila verse 2.117 on the occasion of the disappearance of Krishnadas Kaviraja Goswami, author of the great literature Caitanya Caritamrta. In the previous offering we heard from Maharaj about
1. The three wishes of devotees.
2. Bhagavatam and Caitanya Caritamrta are non-different.
3. Be Simple.
4. Don't be lazy.
5. Do not blaspheme or imitate exalted Vaishnavas.
6. Be careful in sadhana.
7. Hear from the parampara.
Now let us continue to hear further.
8. Hearing gives faith: Srila Prabhupada further says in the purport, "Following in the footsteps of such liberated souls, who are able to vibrate real transcendental sound, can lead one to the highest stage of devotion, and thus one can become a maha-bhagavata. From the teachings of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu to Sanatana Goswami (Madhya 22.65) we learn,
śāstra-yuktye sunipuṇa, dṛḍha-śraddhā yāṅra
‘uttama-adhikārī’ sei tāraye saṁsāra
A person who is expert in understanding the conclusion of the revealed scriptures and who fully surrenders to the cause of the Lord is actually able to deliver others from the clutches of material existence.
Those who act according to the shastras, those who continuously hear it, continuously hear the shastras, their bhakti becomes unflinching. They develop unflinching faith in the process. Otherwise we lose the faith and as soon as the faith is lost, you are completely destroyed - buddhi naashaat pranashyati. "Your intellect is completely gone".
9. Three types of Devotees: And this uttama adhikari we have to understand. There are three nice verses in the 11 th Canto to understand the three kinds of devotees. We call them the lowest kind of devotee is one who is a very neophyte devotee and his description is given in the 2nd Chapter, verse number 47 and is known as kanishta adhikari. And he is very nicely described in one verse
arcāyām eva haraye pūjāṁ yaḥ śraddhayehate
na tad-bhakteṣu cānyeṣu sa bhaktaḥ prākṛtaḥ smṛtaḥ
arcaayam eva haraye / pujaam yah shraddhayehate - He worships the Lord with full faith. He is always near the altar or standing in the congregation. But He disregards the devotee or anybody else. He just looks towards the Lord. He is kanishta adhikari. No doubt he is adhikari. He is much better than the neophytes, those who don't come to the Lord. He has elevated himself to the first stage and that is to get attracted to the forms of the Lord. And that is all. He doesn't perform anything else. He just walks into to the temple, bows down before the Lord, puts some money in the donation box and walks away. This is kanishta adhikari. In Bhagavatam class, many times when it is going on, some guest comes, they think that there is nothing happening here. They don't know anything at all. So they just bow down before the Deity, prays, goes to the box, drops some money and then leaves. This is neophyte stage. They don't care for the devotees. They don't care for discussions. They don't want to understand and they think that they are pure devotees. That is the illusion in which they are. They think that, "I am attracted to the Lord". That is all. This is how completely neglect the instructions of the scriptures.
Krishna willing we shall hear more nectar from Maharaj in the subsequent offerings.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Gurudeva,
Sudarshana devi dasi.
Copyright © 2020. All rights reserved.