Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev.
Out of eight million four hundred thousand species of life, it is very rare thing to attain a human birth. And after attaining this human body, it is still more rare to get the gift of Holy Names, scriptures like Bhagavad Gita, Bhagavatam and devotional service. Acharyas like Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva have been distributing these gifts to us out of their causeless mercy. So as aspiring disciples, what should be our attitude towards such exalted souls? Few days ago we were watching the Vyasa pooja ceremony of our beloved spiritual master HH Mahavishnu Goswami Maharaj held in Sydney in December 2002. Among the many wonderful offerings done by our God-siblings, I would like to share the beautiful offering done by our God-sister, HG Radhika Mataji from Singapore. Mataji had mentioned the maxims given by His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Siddantha Saraswati Thakura which gives the definition, qualities and mood of a sincere disciple to achieve Krishna prema. I am very much indebted and thankful to Mataji for bringing out the gems from this great acharya's instructions. The following are the list of maxims given by Srila Bhakti Siddhanta Saraswati Thakura.
1. A true disciple knows his Gurudev to be someone who is extremely dear to Lord Krishna, who is sent by Krishna, and who is the servitor Lord (sevaka bhagavan).
2. A sincere disciple has the same devotion for His Gurudeva as he has for the Supreme Lord. And he worships and serves him the same way.
3. Those who do not serve their Gurudev this way, fall from their position as a disciple.
4. No one can chant the holy name purely unless they see Gurudeva as non different from Krishna, as Krishna's manifestation.
5. I shall serve Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga with simplicity and sincerity under the guidance of Gurudeva.
6. My Gurudeva has the words of the Supreme Lord, and I will be obedient to that word in the proper way.
7. I will not disrespect my Gurudeva under the influence of anyone in this world. If I have to become proud, if have to become a beast, if I have to go to hell, by carrying out the order of Gurudeva, who is sent by Krishna, then I want to sign a contract to go to hell for all eternity, I will not listen to anything anybody says, other than the order of my Gurudeva.
8. By the power that has come to me from the lotus feet of Gurudeva, I will throw out all other currents of consciousness of the world with a punch of my fist.
9. With just a particle of dust from the pollen of the lotus feet of Sri Gurudeva, can millions of people of this world will be delivered.
10.There is no scholarship, there is no good concept in the fourteen worlds that is heavier than a particle of dust from the lotus feet of my Gurudeva.
11. A true disciple will have this kind of firm faith and determination (taken from Sri Guru prasanga).
These are worth meditating for the whole of our life time. Praying to the lotus feet of Srila Gurudeva and all the acharyas, we shall make a humble effort to meditate on each one of these maxims in the subsequent offerings, Krishna willing. May these maxims sink deep in our hearts and help us to improve the fabric of bhakti and service to Guru and Krishna.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva,
Sajjana Priya Krishna das
Copyright © 2021. All rights reserved.