Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva.
This is in continuation of the previous offering titled, "Give Your Best to Krishna" wherein we were meditating on Srimad Bhagavatam verse 1.14.38. In the previous offering we saw how the members of Yadu family were so very devoted to the Lord that they dared to do anything and everything, inorder to give the best possible thing in the universe to Lord Krishna. We also saw how acaryas like Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva, gave their best efforts in serving Lord's mission. Now we shall meditate further on how we can give our best to Krishna.
1. Best part of the day is the early morning hours. Scriptures also insist how the brahma muhurta time is best for spiritual activities. So giving our best to Krishna means dedicating these early morning hours in Krishna's service. That's why all the acaryas insist that daily we wake up early in the morning, greet the Lord with nice arati, chant His Holy Names and sing His glories. Our beloved spiritual master HH Mahavishnu Goswami Maharaj very nicely says that all these are appointments with Krishna and such appointments should not be missed.
2. While chanting japa, sometimes we just mumble the Holy names or do it very mechanically, just for the sake of completing the rounds. Instead if we want to give our best efforts in this service, we should chant very lovingly, with all our heart, feeling very grateful for the opportunity given by the Lord to chant His names. Also we should chant loudly so that we can also hear and help other living entities around also hear the transcendental Holy Names. This is how we can give our best - while doing japa.
3. The best time to do bhakti in our life is right from childhood. Prahlad Maharaj says in Srimad Bhagavatam verse 7.6.1
kaumāra ācaret prājño dharmān bhāgavatān iha
durlabhaṁ mānuṣaṁ janma tad apy adhruvam arthadam
Prahlāda Mahārāja said: One who is sufficiently intelligent should use the human form of body from the very beginning of life — in other words, from the tender age of childhood — to practice the activities of devotional service, giving up all other engagements. The human body is most rarely achieved, and although temporary like other bodies, it is meaningful because in human life one can perform devotional service. Even a slight amount of sincere devotional service can give one complete perfection.
Many times we have the wrong notion that devotional service should be taken in the fag end of our lives. First of all we don't know when the end is. Secondly we have no guarantee that our body will be in working condition at that time. So it is very very important that we engage ourselves in bhakti right from childhood so that we can offer our best service to Lord, when the body is in nice working condition. By serving Krishna nicely from childhood, Uddhava could continue in active service even when he became old. When we give our best to Krishna, Krishna mercifully blesses us with best strength to carry out the services even when we are old. We remember Maharaj, even at the age of 90, he was able to study one volume Srimad Bhagavatam, without the aid of any glasses because he never misused his eyes and other senses right from the beginning. Since he engaged his eyes in the best manner - to see Krishna, His devotees and serve them, Lord Hrishikesha arranged for Maharaj's eysesight to be in best condition always.
4. Best of all gifts in this world is gift of devotional service unto Supreme Lord. When we become instruments in the hands of Sri Guru and Krishna in giving this gift to others, we become dear to Krishna. As Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita, He considers this as our best service.
5. Srimad Bhagavatam is the best of all scriptures and that is why it is called Mahapurana. It tells us about the glories of Lord and His dear devotees. Starting from Krishna, Brahmaji and upto Srila Prabhupada and his disciples we can notice how each one of them played their best possible role in giving this best scriptures to humanity at large. On this ausopicious day of Bhadra Purnima, let us pray that we always take shelter of this great scripture and put our best efforts in not only distributing the books, but also the nectar in this Mahapurana, to as many souls, whomever we meet or interact with in our day to day lives.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva,
Sudarshana devi dasi.
Copyright © 2024. All rights reserved.