Hare Krishna Prabhujis and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev!
This is in continuation of the previous offering titled, "The Science of Mercy" wherein we are trying to share the points from the class by HG Devakinandan Prabhuji in Trivandrum in April 2013, on Srimad Bhagavatam verse 4.9.8. So far we have heard the below points.
1. Krishna is our master.
2. The proper etiquette in devotional service.
3. Our only business is to glorify Krishna and the devotees.
4. Perseverance of the penance is the royal way to Krishna.
Now let us continue to hear the other points.
5. Spiritual awakening and enlightenment: This verse is speaking about the point of awakening. Srila Prabhupada writes in the purport, "The example is given that a person may apparently abstain from sleep all day, but as long as he is not spiritually enlightened he is actually sleeping. He may sleep at night and perform his duties in the daytime, but as long as he does not come to the platform of working in spiritual enlightenment he is considered to be always sleeping."
Maharaj said that our duties catch us if we do not put Krishna in the centre. Brahma fixed his mind at the lotus feet of Krishna by performing tapa - penance. He did not just perform penance for some time and expect Krishna to appear at once. We have this habit that one or two years we are in Krishna consciousness and we feel we should get bhakti, we should become pure devotees and all the problems of this world must go. Frankly speaking, those who are in devotional service realize that the more you come to bhakti, the more the problems come. When we come to bhakti, we think that we must have a nice wife, but very often Maharaj said the wife becomes knife. We always think that when we are in Krishna consciousness, the family must be nice, health must be nice but how are we going to persevere in devotional service if everything is nice? If everything is nice, there is no perseverance. Then we all go to sleep. Then we will be like materialists who go to sleep thinking that he has performed nice work. But our way is Brahma's way.
6. We can never forget our obligation to the Lord: Dhruva Maharaj is very grateful to Krishna. A devotee is always appreciative and obliged to Krishna. Srila Prabhupada writes, "The Supreme Personality of Godhead cannot be forgotten even for a moment by His surrendered devotees. The devotee understands that the Lord's causeless mercy is beyond his estimation; he cannot know how much he is benefited by the grace of the Lord." This is the mood we should have. When things are bad, we think that Krishna is not helping. But we do not realize how much Krishna has reduced the difficulties and given discount.
In Caitanya Caritamrta, Mukunda came across Mayavadi sannyasis and at one point he started listening to them. Mahaprabhu got little upset with him. He did not like Mukunda listening to impersonal philosophy. When Srivas Thakur invited everyone to come to his house for performing Kirtan, Mahaprabhu allowed everyone to come, but instructed Srivas Thakur not to allow Mukunda. Mukunda became distressed. He said, "When I am going to get the darshan of Mahaprabhu?" Svarupa Damodar asked Mahaprabhu about this and Mahaprabhu said, "Tell him he can have darshan after a few million lifetimes." When this was told to Srivas Thakur, he thought Mukunda is going to get dejected by this harsh punishment. He told this to Mukunda and Mukunda became very happy. He said, "Lord is so kind. At least He is going to give me darshan. Time does not matter." This is the mood of a devotee, always seeing how much benefit Krishna is giving and seeing His hand in all the difficulties. When a devotee does that, he becomes grateful. When he is grateful, he is naturally humble. Gratitude attracts humility. When one is humble, automatically the senses are controlled and when the senses are controlled, a devotee does not have attachment nor does he have aversion to any service. He attracts the complete mercy of Krishna. This is the royal road to becoming peaceful.
Prabhuji went on to explain how when the Lord's mercy is attracted, the Lord reciprocates by encouraging the devotees and the same shall be offered in the next offering, Krishna willing.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudev,
Vaijayantimala devi dasi
Copyright © 2024. All rights reserved.