Dear Prabhujis and Matajis,
Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances! All Glories to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva!
In the Srimad Bhagavatam first canto, fifteenth chapter, we find that Arjuna is totally grief stricken and distressed because of separation from Lord Krishna. He was remembering Lord Krishna and His well-wishes, benefactions, intimate familial relations and His chariot drawing and he was completely overwhelmed with feelings of separation from his friend and dear most well-wisher. The question that arises in our mind is that if the Lord is really merciful, why should the Lord depart from the material world subjecting His dear most devotee to such great distress. The answer to this question was spoken very wonderfully by H.G. Devakinandan prabhuji in one of his lectures in Abu Dhabi. The real manifestation of the Lord’s mercy is indicated in Srimad Bhagavatam 1.15.27,
deśa-kālārtha-yuktāni hṛt-tāpopaśamāni ca
haranti smarataś cittaṁ govindābhihitāni me
Now I am attracted to those instructions imparted to me by the Personality of Godhead [Govinda] because they are impregnated with instructions for relieving the burning heart in all circumstances of time and space.
The above verse gives us the key to live. The key is that if we are attracted to Krishna, then we must be attracted to Krishna’s instructions. Here we find that Arjuna was completely pacified and relieved of all his distress by being deeply absorbed in thinking of the instructions of the Lord in the form of Bhagavad Gita. Srila Prabhupada has given wonderful purports for the verses from 1.15.27 through 31 on how the Bhagavad Gita is the real manifestation of mercy for all periods of time, for all places, for all persons and for all problems and is the personal association of the Lord. When Arjuna realized all these he became completely peaceful and pacified.
Now I shall summarize herewith the 5 Ps which led to the 2 Ps of Peace and Pacification for Arjuna, by quoting from the transcendental purports of Srila Prabhupada.
1. Bhagavad Gita is for all Periods of time.: In the fourth chapter of Bhagavad Gita, Krishna says that He spoke this knowledge to the Sun God Vivashvan, which means it was spoken at least 120,400,000 years ago and the same knowledge was spoken 5000 years ago in the battle of Kurukshetra. This same knowledge is applicable for the future also, since it talks about the eternal constitutional position of the living entity. It is not bound by any time period. There are no amendments made because of the passage of time and it is applicable eternally.
2. Bhagavad Gita is for all Places: It is not that just because it is spoken in India, it is applicable only to this particular land. The same Bhagavad Gita is being studied in all the countries across the globe. It was spoken to Sun God which means it is applicable to the Sun planet also. In this way it is applicable in all the places.
3. Bhagavad Gita is for all Persons: Bhagavad Gita is the essence of all vedic wisdom. For the Vedas, there is restriction that all kinds of persons cannot study the Vedas. But Bhagavad Gita is put within the study of the great historical epic Mahabharata, which was especially prepared for the less intelligent class, namely the women, the labourers and those who are worthless descendants of the brahmanas, kshatriyas and higher section of the vaishyas. Thus, Bhagavad Gita can be read by all the persons.
4. Bhagavad Gita is for all the Problems.: Bhagavad Gita can be consulted in all critical times, not only or solace from all kinds of mental agonies, but also for the way out of great entanglements which may embarrass one in some critical hour. The Bhagavad Gita begins with the problems of life by discriminating the soul from the elements of matter and proves by all reason and argument that the soul is indestructible in all circumstances and that the outer covering of matter, the body and the mind, change for another term of material existence which is full of miseries. The Bhagavad Gita is therefore meant for terminating all different types of miseries. By assimilating the instructions of Bhagavad Gita, one is released from all kinds of bewilderment, because real knowledge is that the Supreme Personality of Godhead is everything. The conception of duality is thus mitigated.
5. Bhagavad Gita gives the Personal association of the Lord.: By remembering the instructions of Bhagavad Gita, Arjuna could realize that the Lord was still present before him by His instruction, by His form, by His pastimes, by His qualities and everything else related to Him. By attainment of absolute knowledge one can be in association with the Lord constantly even in this present life simply by hearing, chanting, thinking of and worshiping the Supreme Lord. The merciful Lord let behind Him the great teachings of the Bhagavad Gita so that one can take instructions of the Lord even when He is not visible to material eyesight. The Bhagavad Gita is the sound incarnation of the Lord and one can derive from Bhagavad Gita the same benefit as Arjuna did in the personal presence of the Lord.
Thus, by taking shelter of the instructions of the Bhagavad Gita, Arjuna was freed from all grief and anxieties. Let us also tale shelter of this mercy manifestation of the Lord under the guidance of our beloved spiritual master.
Thank you very much.
Yours in service of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Gurudeva,
Vaijayantimala devi dasi
Copyright © 2022. All rights reserved.